Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Who's on the Lord's sid? Who? NOW is the time to show!

On Sunday in my ward I was assigned to give the spiritual thought during ward prayer and I have not been so nervous in such a long time. I don't know why, it really wasn't a big deal and I had some good stuff to say but I was so nervous it was crazy! But I wanted to share my thoughts on one aspect of this crazy life!

The other night Bri and I were watching X-men (the first one) and if you know me, you know that it is nearly impossible for me to actually stay awake through a whole movie and this was the second time that we had tried to watch it because the first time I had fallen asleep. And it was a close one this second time. But as I was watching the movie in my half sleep stupor I stumbled upon something I found to be inspiring.

And I am not good a movie quotes but the dialogue was between Cyclops and Wolverine and they were talking about the "war" that they were in and Wolverine was just being kind of ornery and Cyclops matter of factly said to him "at least I have chosen a side". That immediately got me thinking that is so applicable to our lives. We need to chose the Lord's side. We need to not be fence sitter, we need give our whole selves to the Lord and trust in Him that He knows what is best for us. We need to share our testimonies and fight for the Lord in all that we do. Then my mind was immediately turned to D&C 58: 26-28

26 For behold, it is not meet that I should command in all things; for he that is compelled in all things, the same is a slothful and not a wise servant; wherefore he receiveth no reward.
27 Verily I say, men should be anxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of their own free will, and bring to pass much righteousness;
28 For the power is in them, wherein they are agents unto themselves. And inasmuch as men do good they shall in nowise lose their reward.

It is important to be active in our lives, to be anxiously engaged in a good cause, to know who we are and what we stand for. We need to commit to the Lord and not falter from that commitment.

Earlier that day I was talking to my good friend Callie, who is an EFY counselor right now, she was sharing with me a thought that she shared with her girls and I thought it fit into my thoughts very well.
She is doing EFY at Provo right now and they stay in the dorms but the kitchens are locked so they can't get into them. Well the dorm that they were staying in wasn't locked, and they had been in there and had put something in there. They hadn't made a mess but they were not supposed to be in there. A maintenance man came around and was asking them if they had been in there and some what reprimanding them for doing so. Callie was the one in charge and she had her EFY name tag on. She said that at that moment she wanted to take her name tag off and pretend like she was just one of the girls so that he wouldn't talk to her. She didn't end up doing this and he didn't end up talking to her anyways so all was well. But she applied this to our lives and she shared this with her girls that we can't just take our name tags off when it is convenient for us. We need to be our whole selves all of the time. Ironically the theme for EFY this year is "be thou an example" the scripture that goes with it is 1 Timothy 4:12 (I think this is great inspiration!)

12 Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in converstaion, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.

How great is that?! Be an example. There are so many people in the world that look up to us, that watch us, that notice what we do and how we do it. We need to be an example always. We need to remember the covenants we have made to stand as a witness. It is important!

Sorry if I sounded a little preachy! I just thought it was great and loved it, it is more for myself and me remembering those things but I think sometimes we all need a wake up call!




2 comments:

  1. You're such a great example to me. Thank you! You did such a great job on your thought. It was very inspiring. I wish you were a teacher so that I could hear your lessons again. I miss them!

    ReplyDelete